The World's Easiest Bread Recipe

Everyone has been baking bread lately, but I promise you, I have the easiest, tastiest, healthiest bread recipe you'll find. The only catch is that you need a dutch oven or covered baking dish. I use a covered pyrex dish with perfect results.

Ingredients
1 tsp of yeast
1 tsp of salt
3 cups of water
3 cups of white flour
2 cups of spelt flour

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. The dough will be really wet, and if you've made bread before, you'll think you messed it up. You didn't.
Cover it and let it sit on your counter overnight (I make the dough after I get kids down for the night, and it's perfect when I get up the next morning).
The next morning, preheat your oven to 450 degrees (yes, that's hot). Put your baking dish, cover and all, in the oven to preheat. While it does, give your dough a good stir. It has the texture of your kid's play slime, but I promise, it's supposed to. Muddle it around as best you can, as this does make a real difference.
Once your pan is heated through (5 minutes or so), take it out of the oven, drizzle with oil or spray with non-stick spray. Divide your dough in half and place half into your dish. Replace the cover and bake, covered, for 15-20 minutes. Take the cover off your bread and bake another 15 minutes or so, until nicely browned.
Once it's done, repeat with your second half of dough.

Easy variations: I love to stir in sunflower seeds, flax seed, chia seeds and hemp seeds for an extra nutrition boost (just a handful or two of seeds, of any mixture). I do it in the morning before baking it, as this seems to have the best result.
I also love to sprinkle the top with pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds before baking. My kids prefer when I sprinkle it with ground flax seed.
You could stir in raisins or other dried fruit for a sweeter bread, or add cinnamon or other herbs to the dough as well, for a different sort of flavour profile.
If you want a denser bread, increase the proportion of spelt flour. My kids like this proportion the best, but if I'm making it for just me, I increase the amount of spelt that I use.

Comments